Friday, May 1, 2009

Election

Alexander Payne, 1999 (9.0*)
This was the surprise comedic hit for me in 1999. Reese Witherspoon hit her stride as an agressive high schooler who will do just about anything to get elected class president. She's ambitious and knows how to use her femininity to get what she wants. Matthew Broderick is well-cast as a jealous young teacher who puts up a dim-witted opponent but a popular athlete (Chris Klein) against her. Rather than just another sophmoric high school film however, director Alexander Payne (Sideways) gives this film enough bite to make a dark statement about American politics at the same time that he also makes incisive points about the state of relationships and sexuality. One of the best and most overlooked films of that year.

2 comments:

Kyle N. May 4, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

I pass this movie every time I go to BlockBuster but I've never rented it, I geuss I should.

José Sinclair May 5, 2009 at 1:19 AM  

hell yes! by all means check this out.. very intelligent, so it won't be as popular as say, Adam Sandler or Sandra Bullock..

and if you haven't, the black comedy Heathers (Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, "I love my dead gay son!"-Ned Beatty) - nothing quite like either of these.

About Me

My photo
Artist, photographer, composer, author, blogger, metaphysician, herbalist

About This Blog

This is our new template: ProBlogger.



These are the individual film reviews of what I'm considering the best 1000 dvds available, whether they are films, miniseries, or live concerts. Rather than rush out all 1000 at once, I'm doing them over time to allow inclusion of new releases - in fact, 2008 has the most of any year so far, 30 titles in all; that was a very good year for films, one of the best ever.



Author at EZines

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP