Wednesday, December 31, 2008

When Harry Met Sally

Rob Reiner, 1989 (9.0*)
Director Rob Reiner's best film is a personable and magnetic love story, which begins when Meg Ryan needs a driving partner for a long trip home on a college break, and a friend hooks her up with her boyfriend Billy Crystal, who is a deluxe macho jerk, so the two grate on each other like sandpaper.

They meet again a decade later after divorces and strike up a platonic friendship that seems to defy the odds. After consoling each other over failed romances, they start spending more time together. Then the age old question arises: can best friends remain friends without sex “rearing its ugly head”? Look for Reiner’s mother, who sadly passed away this year (08), with the film’s best line, a cinema classic, after Ryan demonstrates “faking it” for Crystal in a restaurant.

One of the all-time classic romantic comedies.

Note: As this film has a terrific New Year's Eve scene, I'm reposting it on this day.

2 comments:

Jess September 7, 2008 at 12:17 PM  

Yes, "I'll have what she's having" is definitely one of the best lines. My friends and I have watched this movie thousands of times. I LOVE the vignettes between Harry and Sally time. The couples discussing the insane way they met and stayed married for years. The man who said "She was burned on my brain" always kills me. Great review capsule.

José Sinclair September 7, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

it's also a great 'date' film, and a holiday film with the New Year's Eve scene...

even showing it to women I meet, I've only seen it 4-5 times, "thousands of times" is maybe a few hundred too many for any film! how do you see "all the others"?

thanks! -- Jose, the vidiot

About Me

My photo
Artist, photographer, composer, author, blogger, metaphysician, herbalist

About This Blog

This is our new template: ProBlogger.



These are the individual film reviews of what I'm considering the best 1000 dvds available, whether they are films, miniseries, or live concerts. Rather than rush out all 1000 at once, I'm doing them over time to allow inclusion of new releases - in fact, 2008 has the most of any year so far, 30 titles in all; that was a very good year for films, one of the best ever.



Author at EZines

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP