Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Unbearable Lightness of Being


Philip Kaufman, 1988 (8.5*)
Kaufman is best known for directing the large budget epic docudrama The Right Stuff, five years after that blockbuster came this erotic romance about a philandering neurosurgeon is set in Prague, during the turbulent years of Russian occupation.

Daniel-Day Lewis, in an early role, plays the doctor, Juliet Binoche, Oscar® winner for The English Patient, plays his wife, and the super-sexy Swedish actress Lena Olin (one of my favorites) plays his main mistress. Perhaps a bit lengthy at over 2:44, it remains one of the most intelligent and erotic romances put on film, and seems especially popular with all the women I know. Need a date film? Throw in this dvd!

3 comments:

Anonymous,  January 28, 2009 at 5:17 PM  

Hey;

Great movie and glad to see someone else cares enough about it to give it a good write-up.

The only thing is, "Unbearable Lightness" came out five years AFTER "The Right Stuff", not before.

Other than that, great pick. Keep up the good work!

-TGWD

José Sinclair January 28, 2009 at 6:28 PM  

Thanks, you're right!
I think since I was doing D-Day Lewis' best works, he was the one really in my mind, and I haven't reviewed Right Stuff yet, but it's definitely on my list.

I'm always amazed by these great directors who can go from one genre to the next (like Wilder, Spielberg) and make just another excellent film, when many struggle with just their own genre (Woody - who's batting avg has gone down since the 80's).

Guess I'm the "GreatWhiteDope" tonight, or rather "PettyWHiteDope". I just saw Twilight Samurai, the "petty samurai" story... terrific, review upcoming.

- thanks for reading! -- Jman

drewbacca February 28, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

Ok, it's official. I'm adding you to our blogroll. Cheers.

-Andrew
RowThree.com

About Me

My photo
Artist, photographer, composer, author, blogger, metaphysician, herbalist

About This Blog

This is our new template: ProBlogger.



These are the individual film reviews of what I'm considering the best 1000 dvds available, whether they are films, miniseries, or live concerts. Rather than rush out all 1000 at once, I'm doing them over time to allow inclusion of new releases - in fact, 2008 has the most of any year so far, 30 titles in all; that was a very good year for films, one of the best ever.



Author at EZines

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP